Career Questions from an online forum:
Q1: How can I transition from enterprise architecture to business consulting?
Interesting question; I say interesting since many people from consulting move to corporate EA.
For this response, I will assume you are a corporate EA with some consulting background. While moving to Business consulting you will need to
- Highlight expertise in functional domain - This could be expertise in domains like Finance, Supply Chain, HR or others that you may have worked on
- Emphasize your consulting background - e.g consulting with projects and programs in your organization.
- Demonstrate flexibility to learn and think on your feet
Message me if you need further inputs.
Q2: What positions can being a Java technical architect lead to?
Sorry to sound clichéd but it really depends on where you want it to lead. Let us look at two main kinds of jobs:
- Consulting firms - A Java Technical Architect could grow into a senior Architect, Senior consultant or relationship manager, engagement leader etc. Along the way, you could pick up other technical skills in Big Data, AI etc etc
- IT Shop at an organization - Let us assume, you join as a Java Technical Architect at a large bank. You could continue to grow in the technical track (towards Enterprise Architecture) and expand into other technologies being used in the organization, or grow in the management track
As I said earlier, it really depends on where you want your job to lead to.