This weekend, India's Rohan Bopanna became the oldest man to win a Grand Slam after clinching the Australian Open men's doubles trophy, pairing with Matthew Ebden. Bopanna, who is set to turn 44 in March this year, also celebrated becoming the oldest number one in men's doubles history by winning the title in Melbourne on Saturday.
Indian leaders across the spectrum were quick to congratulate Bopanna. The Indian Prime Minster Tweeted on X
Time and again, the phenomenally talented @rohanbopanna shows age is no bar!— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) January 27, 2024
Congratulations to him on his historic Australian Open win.
His remarkable journey is a beautiful reminder that it is always our spirit, hard work and perseverance that define our capabilities.
Most tennis players peak in their twenties; Bopanna on the other hand goes on to win a grand slam at 43! Likewise we are told that most IT professionals peak in their twenties; but that shouldn’t stop you from achieving your peak at whatever age!
Five-Career Lessons for mid-career professionals from Rohan Bopanna’s grand slam win
So, here are five-Career Lessons for mid-career professionals from Rohan Bopanna’s grand slam win at Australian Open
1. Grit and staying power
- Whether it is sports or professional career, one needs Grit and staying power
- One needs to take a long term view of life while working on short term goals
2. We all face setbacks… but overcome those
- Bopanna has faced a fair share of setbacks in the quest for excellence
- We may also face personal and professional hurdles, but need to persevere to move forward
3. Life and career don’t always have a linear progression
- We are always told at 25 this has to happen, by 30 this has to happen, at 40 this will happen
- But life doesn’t always move in a linear manner. Accept this fact
4. Work life balance
- Bopanna is as proud about his family – wife and daughter – as he is about his on-field achievements
- Stay focused on your career, while paying equal attention to your personal life
5. Age is just a number
- Most tennis players peak in their twenties … Bopanna on the other hand goes on to win a grand slam at 43!
- Likewise we are told that most IT professionals peak in their twenties… But that shouldn’t stop you from achieving your peak at whatever age!