Here are my recent responses to questions on Enterprise Architecture asked by fellow EA's on Quora. Do keep the questions coming. I will try and respond here or on Quora or Linkedin Pulse
Question: When does enterprise architecture support TOGAF?
The question is unclear and the assumption is incorrect. Rather than Enterprise Architecture supporting TOGAF, it is the other way around. Simply put, TOGAF®is a framework, with tools and techniques that support and enable an Enterprise Architecture. Also check out , that describes how:
“The TOGAF framework enables organizations to effectively address critical business needs by:
- Ensuring that everyone speaks the same language
- Avoiding lock-in to proprietary solutions by standardizing on open methods for Enterprise Architecture
- Saving time and money, and utilize resources more effectively
- Achieving demonstrable ROI”
Good question. What you will look for in an Enterprise Architect depends on your requirements and perspectives. A few examples include the following perspectives:
- EA as a transformation leader - If your organization is embarking on a strategic transformation, you should be looking for an EA with a transformation background
- Size of organization - Depending on the size of your organization, you may be looking for someone with a global or domain focused background. In global organizations, an EA is expected to take the “big picture” view
- EA focused on a BIDAT specific focus - Again, depending on your requirement, you may also be looking for an EA focused on Business, Information Systems, Data, Application or Technology specific background.
- EA in a consulting firm - Technology consulting firms hire people with EA background to help in pre-sales and in customer engagements.
Also check out my blog on the topic from a while ago :
Ping back with your requirement and I will be able to guide you better